Saturday, October 23, 2010

ham & cabbage


My meal was a success. Hubbs and Logan both liked it! I made ham, cabbage, and cornbread. One of my favorites! I cooked my cabbage in a few slabs of salty ham and let it sit simmering all day. I LOVE cornbread and it compliments ham and cabbage well. I used Jack's grandmother's recipie which is super sweet. It consisits of sugar, soucream, cream style corn, corn muffin mix, butter, and eggs! It is just too good to be true. If you are interested in the recipie email me. If you notice I use some Great Value brands. There used to be a time when I would not be caught with Great Value anything in my shopping cart. I only bought name brand food items. However, I have had both and both taste very similar. The perk of course with Great Value is you are saving money! How vain was I? Geez. Lastly, I put my ham in the crockpot for about an hour. (The ham already comes fully cooked.) I like to get the spiral hams. A quarter pound is more than enough for the three of us. It usually comes with a brown sugar glaze. However, I do not like it. I would just rather throw on my own brown sugar, honey...etc. This time I did not do any of that. My husband does not like that anyway. I poured a little apple juice, chicken stock, and water in the base of my crockpot. That may sound weird but it is really good. I threw my ham in and covered the ham with rings of pineapple. Delicious!

Long story short....Jack ended up having to work last night. Therefore, my dinner had to wait until today. We had it for lunch and he really enjoyed a home cooked meal. It worked out for the best because we like this particualr meal on the second night anyway after it's been sitting all night.

It really feels like a fall today! I am loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment